I've played drums almost my entire life. I studied theory, ear training, arranging, composition, performance & songwriting at Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA and Cabrillo Community College in Aptos, CA.
In the 7th grade I was described as a "real band rat, who will play with anyone, any time." This turned out to be prophetic.
I love music, especially playing rock music. Being on stage w/ the band between all the amps and monitors playing drums is to literally be at the center of the music, both sonically and physically because you can feel every note in your body. It's an amazing experience.
I recommend everyone from all walks of life learn drums.
“The best thing for drummers is to have fun.”
The Coasters & The Shirelles
Drums, 1997 – Ad-hoc band on Redding, CA tour stop.
Drums, 2018-2019 - A garage rock/eclectic/Americana band based in Raleigh, NC, performing original material regionally from SC to VA.
- "Thirsty Curses" - self-titled 10 track L.P., Spectre Records, 2019
Drums, 2017 to 2018 - An alternative rock band performing original material in Raleigh, NC.
- "EP" - 3 track E.P., 2018
- "Policy of Discontent" - 15 track L.P., 2013 - 13 tracks
Signals From Satellites
- "Interstate Wes Bound" - 3 track E.P., 2012
Unreleased but you can listen to all three tracks on Bandcamp
- "Dotted Lines EP" - 7 track E.P. 2010, released; sold out
Berklee College of Music
1994 - Drum Set – Theory, arranging, private lessons, songwriting club, songwriting competition. Formed pop-folk duo with friend. Numerous school work and demo recordings. Performed “caff-show” with Dr. Anthony Fesmire – Original progressive rock – Trip to Nashville – Met Janice Ian, asked her who the "brown-eye girl in hand me downs" was.
Cabrillo Community College
1990 – 1996 - Music Major – Theory, ear-training, 4 part writing, 5 part writing, arranging, improvisation, private lessons, numerous performing ensembles (listed above). Also public speaking, mass media, English, Spanish, study skills, and more.
1991 – 1994 - Drum Set & percussion – Latin grooves, hand technique, time.
1994 – present - Registered writer/performer with B.M.I.. I've received actual royalty checks!
TAMA Walnut/Birch Starclassic, standard depths, black lacquer
- 22″ x 14″ virgin kick
- 12″ x 8″ tom
- 16″ x 16″ floor tom
- 14″ x 6″ S.L.P. G-Maple Snare
- 14″ x 5.5″ 1980s Imperialstar Steel/Chrome Snare (alternate)
This thing is a cannon
Left to right
- 13″ K/Z Series Hi-Hats (it's like a pair of New Beats, but on crack)
- 18″ Paiste Signature Series Thin China (used occasionally)
- 18″ Paiste Signature Series Full Crash
- 21″ Dream Dark Energy Ride
- 19″ Paiste Signature Series Dark Energy Crash
- 20" TAMA Ride used as a crash (used very rarely)
(Yes, it's one of those cheapo practice cymbals, but makes a great crash)
Vic Firth SD2 Bolero Model, wood tip, just about my whole life
Previous Drum Sets
TAMA Swingstar (2000s)
- 5 piece (but I only used 4)
- "accel" depths
- black wrap finish
Yamaha Stage Custom
- 5 piece
- fusion sizes
- cherry finish
TAMA Artstar II
- 5 piece
- "xtras" depths
- amber finish (I miss these babies)
TAMA Swingstar (late 80s silver badge)
- 7 piece,
- "xtras" depths,
- misty chrome wrap finish
- 5 piece
- standard depths
- blue sparkle wrap finish
- TAMA Swingstar 5.5" Steel/Chrome snare